COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to the public health emergency, the Lisle Town Court is operating at reduced capacity in accordance with all State Executive and Office of Court Administration orders. *You must wear a face covering to enter the court building!* Please call (607) 849-4685 to confirm that a court clerk is available and/or that your appearance is necessary.

The Town of Lisle is located in the northwest corner of Broome County in upstate New York. The Town of Lisle Justice Court operates from the Lisle Town Offices at 9234 NYS Route 79, Lisle, NY 13797.

Court Clerk Office Hours are Mondays 10AM – 1PM and Thursdays 10AM – 1PM with the exception of national holidays.


How do I answer my ticket?

You may have received a hand written ticket or a computer-generated ticket. It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. If the charge(s) are NOT MISDEMEANORS you may either appear on the date listed on the bottom of the ticket or you may sign the back of the hand written ticket or the right side of the computer generated ticket to indicate your plea of either guilty or not guilty. You then mail it to the court at PO Box 247, Lisle, NY 13797.

Note: Be sure to review all information printed on your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket, to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket. Draw a large “X” through the part you do not fill in.

Upon a plea of guilty, the judge will impose a sentence which could consist of a fine. Also imposed would be the NY State mandated surcharge. You will be notified by mail of the amount due and the process to make the payment.

Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be scheduled for a pre trial conference with the prosecutor to negotiate an agreement to plead guilty to a legally authorized alternate offense. Any proposed agreement is subject to approval by the court. Once your plea of not guilty is received and accepted by the court, you will receive the notice scheduling this conference and will also explain the process.

NOTICE: If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you must appear in person on the date and time listed on the ticket, or if you are being charged with a third or subsequent speed in an 18 month period, you must appear in court.

I missed my court appearance what do I do?

You should contact the court, or your attorney (if you have one), immediately. Depending on the matter at hand, non-appearances could normally result in one or more of the following: Arrest Warrant, Bench Warrant, bail forfeiture and/or the suspension of your driver’s license/privileges.

What is a supporting deposition?

A supporting deposition is a detailed account from the officer regarding the issued ticket. If you were handed an electronically issued ticket, the officer may have handed you the supporting deposition along with the ticket. Some officers hand the ticket and supporting deposition to the driver as one long piece of paper, some separate them.

I’d like to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain.

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued. You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office. Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

Why can’t I send payment in with my ticket?

Because the Judge will assess the penalty once a plea of guilty has been entered. Once assessed a Notice of Fine will be mailed to you stating the amount due and the process to make the payment.

How do I pay my fine?

• Payments are accepted during the hours listed on this website.

• You may pay in person with cash in the exact amount or with a debit/credit card.

• You can also pay online at www.paycourtonline.com OR call 1-800-701-8560

NOTICE: A 2.99% convenience fee will be added to your debit/credit card payment.

NOTE: Neither the municipality nor the court receives any portion of any debit/credit card fees.

The following are NOT accepted:

Personal or business checks, or payments over the phone with a court clerk. You may call 1-800-701-8560 for any phone credit card payments

Do I need an attorney?

Although you are not required to have an attorney you have a right to have representation at every step of the proceedings. It is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel but you certainly have the right to do so.

Can I get a Public Defender?

You must call to make an appointment immediately. You will have to financially qualify for representation. Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 45 Hawley St. Binghamton, NY 13902 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview. You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment.

How do I contact the District Attorney?

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
PO Box 1766, 45 Hawley St., 4th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13901-1766

Who do I contact about points on my license?

Contact NYS DMV at your local office or go to http://www.dmv.ny.gov If you are an out of state driver, contact your home licensing state.

Why is my license suspended?

Depending on the reason for your suspension; you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court. If your license is suspended, and the effective date is after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00 for each ticket. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website http://www.dmv.ny.gov/susFeePmt/susFeeFaq.htm. Submit your identified payment as outlined in the “How do I pay my fine?” question on this page along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement and verification of the suspension date.

Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

What is the driver assessment fee?

That notice came from NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and is separate from any fines or surcharges paid to the court. The fee is called Driver’s Responsibility Act (DRA). Go to http://www.dmv.ny.gov/drp.htm for any questions pertaining to that fee.

What is the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle phone number?

General Phone Assistance – DMV Call center – (518)486-9786

Telecommunications Device For The Deaf (TDD)
711 or 1-(800) 662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786)

Who do I talk to about the status of my license?

To find out any information regarding your license status or the effect of a conviction, contact or visit your licensing state Department of Motor Vehicles

How do I obtain my New York State Criminal History?

Call and contact the court clerk for the information and procedure

I was the victim of a crime. Who can I talk to? You can contact:

RISE-NY (Formerly SOS Shelter Advocacy Office Inc.)  at 1201 Man St. in Endicott, NY (across from U-E High School) Phone: (607)-748-7453 – Counseling: (607) 748-5174. The 24 hour Crisis Line is (607)-754-4340. This hotline is for information and referrals to their shelter and /or other services and support.

Crime Victims Assistance Center Advocate Program at 377 Robinson St. Binghamton, NY 13904 / 202 Garfield Ave. Endicott NY 13760 – (607)778-2423 ask for the Crime Victim Advocate. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-722-4256. This hotline is for information and referrals for victims of domestic violence as well as accompaniment to hospitals and law enforcement agencies. The website is www.cvac.us

For additional information you can review the website for the New York State Crime Victim Board at http://www.ovs.ny.gov/


When are evictions heard and what is the filing fee?

Evictions are heard on Mondays at 7:30PM. The filing fee is $20.00. You must contact the court clerk to obtain a court date. 

The Court cannot give any legal advice to Landlords or Tenants in Eviction Proceedings. For information about how to file an eviction, contact an attorney or visit: http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Homes/evictions.shtml


Where do I file for small claims?

Small Claims can be filed with the Court Clerk. The party you are filing against must live, work or have a place of business in the Town of Lisle. They must receive their mail in the Town of Lisle. You must have the exact mailing address. POST OFFICE BOXES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. The allowable maximum amount to claim is $3000.00. For claims up to $1000.00, the filing fee is $10.00. For claims over $1000.00 the filing fee is $15.00.

You must call the Court Clerk to make an appointment to file the paperwork. For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the court office, or you may view the New York State Guide to Small Claims Court by clicking on the link below:

Is there an alternative to filing a Small Claim?

Yes. You can contact ACCORD (A Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc.). This is a mediator service which is free. In Broome County you can call 607-724-5153. Email at accord@stny.rr.com In Tioga County call 607-687-8222. Email at tcaccord@pronetisp.net.